Sunday, February 9, 2014

Acts of Kindness

In our first meeting we decided to do an anonymous act of kindness towards one of our team members. This is going to be a great way to know the person I picked better. I hope I will find the opportunity to act and to make a difference in his/her year.

Tracking my acts of kindness (AOK) is one of the requirements I struggle the most. What qualifies as an AOK? Is making breakfast for my kids an AOK? I don't have to feed them, right? Giving treats to my dogs? There are some acts of kindness that I see as duties I've taking upon me. When I brought a dog into the house, I committed to take care of that dog. On the other hand, I don't have to.

Letting a car merge in traffic seems like an act of kindness but if the guy merging is one that changed lanes in order to sneak in front, is it still an act of kindness? Is it kind to the guy behind me that is not going to make it on time because of all the cars I'm letting merge in front of me?

Is saying hello to a friend, co-worker, or a stranger on the street is an act of kindness? If this is the case I can probably track an average of 12 a day. That is going to be over 4,000 AOKs just for saying hello.

Should the AOKs be more meaningful? Should I track only one type AOKs everyday? How are you approaching it?

Snapshot:
Push-ups - 1,260 this week - 1,260 out of 50,000
Sit-ups - 1,200 this week - 1,200 out of 50,000
Nunchucks - 27 this week - 27 out of 1,000
Staff - 20 this week - 20 out of 1,000
Acts of Kindness - 18 this week - 21 out of 1,000
Plank - 10 this week - 10 out of 1,000 minutes
Horse Stance - 14 this week - 14 out of 1,000 minutes
Qi Gong - 4 this week - 4 out of 365

3 comments:

  1. I track everything because it leads to awareness not only of where, but also of where not. I include myself because that's the one who needs it the most and can be the most neglected.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think an act of kindness is just that, an act you perform with kindness in mind. If you are being kind it counts, if you are feeling obligated..... I think kids and pets are a commitment but that is just me :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ahhhh... I think an act of kindness only counts if it is directed to your wife... no???? ;-)

    ReplyDelete