Sunday, February 8, 2015

The Ripple Effect

Everything we do have is affecting our surrounding. Our actions, good or bad, can have a positive or a negative influence on someone's situation.

I've been thinking about this for a while - what is the effect of our AOKs? Are we by doing something negative, causing something good for someone else?

When I keep the door open for someone, I let cold air in and make others cold.
When I let a driver merge into my lane, I make the person behind me get home later than before.
When I miss demo practice, I give the opportunity for someone else to have the experience.

Do we have control on the affect of what we do? Probably not. Can we make sure our actions cause good to some and do not harm others? Maybe not.

What is my intent.

If I intent to do good, I hope there is going to be a positive ripple and other good things will happen. If I'm nice to people they will be nice to others (and to me?).


2 comments:

  1. I like this post, Sifu. I've thought a lot before about your point regarding letting a vehicle in and affecting the cars behind you. I've been the car behind the guy letting another car in and I've been angry about it in the past. Now I try to put myself in the shoes of the guy being let in and imagine that he/she is very appreciate and sometimes that makes me feel better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never really thought of the AOK from that perspective. As you mentioned I think it boils down to intent.

    ReplyDelete