Sunday, October 5, 2014

Struggling

How can I tell if someone is struggling? Attendance? Blogging? 

How can I tell when I'm struggling? Motivation to get up is down, there is no drive to continue practicing. 

Routine has been a key for me. It keeps me engaged and connected. Last year we were working hard for July 1 and then I was working hard preparing for my grading. The engagement continued all the way to the ceremony with countless hours of practice. 

This year there was a void after July 1. August was hard with few weeks of vacation followed by a week away from home for business. And then was the big change in my routine - I stopped going to the early morning class. With 3 Sifus and only 3-4 students I didn't feel I'm getting what I need from being there. 

The problem is that I did not find my routine yet. I'm occasionally going to the gym and did some yoga classes but I'm lacking the consistency. Changes at work are definitely not helping as I'm trying to find my place again. 

So what should I do? I would like to hear what you have to say. I'm hoping to be able to find my routine again. 

4 comments:

  1. When I need to find my routine, I always seem to start by making a to do list so I can check things off. I'll write stuff like go to the gym, clean kitchen, practice forms, mow the lawn, etc. This allows me to feel good about doing stuff and it creates consistency and order in my house (which is important for me). When I check off a few things a few days in a row, it generates momentum for me. Some slumps are harder than others but the road back always starts with one small step.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish I had some advise to give but I don't as I am struggling with the same things. I can say that by writing a blog about this like you have, is the first step. I'm sure in a small way it has helped you already. Its helped other people like me in a bigger way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. In the early years, I really had a hard time creating a routine and being consistent because of my shift work. What eventually helped me was that I found small moments that were the same within the chaos and I build my routine around that. Instead of trying to do the same thing at the same time everyday, I had to let that go and just get it done. I also made some changes that had a profound affect on the rest of my life, instead of looking at all the things that I could not do, I focused on what I was able to do. I started getting up at the same time 6 out of every 9 days, it was challenging at first because of my late nights but once I got used to it, I loved it. I was feeling more rested (even though some of my days I had less sleep), I was meeting my commitment to myself and was much nicer to be around. So try to take a small step away from the struggle and see if you can make a small change that will relieve some of the chaos. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Something that may be beneficial to you is to look back at what aspect of your Kung Fu you really enjoy and are inspired by. start working on it again and from there you may find that a routine manifests itself from the joy of practicing it. That is something I have done in the past that has worked for me.

    ReplyDelete