Sunday, September 16, 2018

The Next New Thing

We are constantly after the next new thing. It is almost impossible these days to be content with what you have. For sure, my current phone is doing what it needs to but can I imagine having my phone from 10 years ago? Shouldn't I buy a new piece of clothing to replace the one that is worn down?

Am I going to be able to be satisfied with what I've got? Do I have all I need?

It feels the same when learning Kung Fu. Learnt one form and now progress to the next. Practiced one application and not the new one looks like a shiny item I need.

I don't think that you can stop consumption either with the material world or with training. You always want and should get more. The question is how you do it and what balance you are making with getting better use with what you already have. Get all you can get out of it before you jump to the next new thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment