Saturday, May 25, 2013

Stop being nice to me; Be my friend!

Since I got to Canada I met many people that were nice to me. They ask me how I'm doing, they say hello when they see me but they are not crossing the line between an acquaintance and a friend.

I can admit that sometimes it is also hard for me to do the next step but I tried few times and got burnt. I've invited some people for supper, helped others but never got anything back. No one invited me back. Except for one couple.

4 weeks after they moved into our neighborhood, they were placing sod. We only exchanged "hello"s till then and after seeing them working for a little bit I offered my help and worked with them for the rest of the day. We also invited them for lunch. Unlike anyone else up to that point, they invited us back.

I'm so happy I did get to find a true friend here in Canada.

1 comment:

  1. Surprised no one commented on this one. ;-)

    Canadian's pride themselves on being part of the most polite country in the world. They think it is a good thing and strive to be polite to the umpteenth degree.

    However, being polite is not always a positive thing. Sometimes it is just an easy way to not care or not get involved. Being genuine is a must harder thing to do and, in my opinion, a far greater act of kindness than being polite.

    I am also thankful to have made friends since we returned to Canada. Making friends is much harder for adults than kids. Children are much more accepting and, believe it or not, less self-absorbed.

    ReplyDelete