Monday, August 4, 2014

Yellow Bridge

Sometimes I'm  thinking what is the purpose of the I Ho Chuan team. Their are many individual goals and their are some team targets. When I try to analyse what will be considered a success I'm wondering what is more important - team outcome or individual glory. As an individual I think I can set an example, empower, encourage others to follow me and to do better but I cannot do it for them. I cannot write their blogs, I cannot do their pushups. This means that I do not have full control of the success of the team.

Today we were painting a community bridge and I was happy to see few I Ho Chuan members show up and we all did this as a group. I thought it was amazing. The only downside for today was that this was not organized by a I Ho Chuan member. None of us took the leadership and we missed another opportunity as a group. Cudos to Sifu Vantuil for making this happen. She will be a great asset in the team next year!

2 comments:

  1. My wish is that you all see the connection between the team's success and your own. The line dividing the two sets should be blurred.

    The value of the I Ho Chuan is the accountability it brings to one's life. This accountability is only as strong as your participation. There will always be unfulfilled promises and commitments by team members as the world is not perfect. That is why it is important to remember that mastery is about the journey , not the destination. Do your best to keep your journey vibrant and relevant and hopefully your team pulls together and lives up to the example you set.

    Everyone sets an example whether they want to or not. I always strive to ensure my example is one to follow, not avoid. If every team member did the same, think of what could be accomplished.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are absolutely right this is a missed opportunity by the team. As a team we miss an infinite amount of possibility not just personally but as a whole as well. Possibility is all about doors we open and choose to close. Often times the doors we close are doors we choose to under value as people and as martial artists.

    ReplyDelete